On every list of essentials for our wardrobes or classics we must own, you will find the LBD, so much so that we all know that’s a Little Black Dress without prompting. I am sure we could all throw on an LBD for a night out or special occasion and team with metallics, more black, a bit of animal print or splash of colour with our eyes closed. But how do you dress down an LBD?
A total blank canvas can be intimidating because there are so many options; it’s almost like being asked what you’d like to drink without being given the options! So where to start?!
Well last week M&Co. invited me to style up one of their little black dresses to demonstrate its versatility so I took this opportunity to do something a little different to the usual evening look…
Ponte skater dress, £35, M&Co.
Style tips to update your LBD
- When thinking about colours to team with black, adding red is timeless but try blue or a bright sharp yellow for a contemporary look.
- Layer over and under. Try a breton (white with black stripe) underneath to dress it down or a white shirt which introduces detail with the addition of the collar.
- Think about the length of your LBD, your body shape and the length of your legs. A mini to knee-length dress, particularly a full-skirted skater style can work with ankle boots but a midi length would work better with pointed courts for their leg-lengthening properties.
- Remember, ankle boots will create a full stop at your ankle and therefore make your legs appear shorter so you need the higher hemline to show more leg and create the illusion of longer legs. A midi dress with its mid-calf hem will already shorten legs so choose shoes that elongate your pins; think pointed or nude.
- When it comes to prints, I’ve already mentioned, stripes will instantly dress down your LBD and I introduced leopard too, yep, another neutral in my book!
- Jersey tops underneath and chunky knits on top with brown or tan leather accessories will all add texture, creating a casual twist too.
Sunglasses, RayBan | Scarf, Little Fashion Gallery | Striped top (current), belt and ring (past seasons), Primark | Leopard heels (recent in-store), BCBGeneration @ TK Maxx.
Steal my style
Dress, M&Co. | Breton, Jaeger | Sunglasses, RayBan | Ring, Coast | Leopard heels, Steve Madden
Take a look #BehindTheScenes of this mini shoot here
Take a look at fellow blogger, Christina at The Daydreamer looking seriously chic in her M&Co. LBD.
Love how you’ve styled this Helen! Ax
Thank you 🙂 I don’t often wear dresses, nor black generally so I wanted to make it very ‘me’ and lift it with the prints. X
This is fab! Taking note of all tips! Great blog post
Thank you Megan! Great to hear the tips are useful! x
You look lovely and have proved beautifully how versatile a good LBD is. The pics of you are fabulous!
sue recently posted…Christmas Jumpers
It’s so easy to just go for the classic evening ensemble with an LBD so wanted to show another option too. Thank you? I did have a good photographer! 😉
Oh I love what you’ve done here – looks fab Helen! Ax
School Gate Style recently posted…Call Me Pretty Boutique
Thank you lovely 🙂
Loving this look… you can’t beat the versatility of a LBD!
Izzie Anderton recently posted…How Do You Loo?
Thank you 🙂
Looks gorgeous! Dressed down but still totally fabulous and wearable. Love the breton striped top underneath and those shoes…perfection! x
Katie / Pouting In Heels recently posted…Today I am pissed off because…
Thank you Katie! I’m so thrilled with the shoes – love TKmaxx these days for shoes!
Love the Breton top under your LBD – really like that LBD too, think I prefer it as a dress-down option with your styling as I find baring my arms in winter requires too much prep (fake tan to take the edge of the blue!). Am new to your blog and will definitely be back.
Jess Paterson recently posted…Gross! The Things We Eat For Our Kids
Oh I’m SO with you on the bare arms prep thing, jess! Also a great way to take summer dresses into autumn too with a layered long sleeve top. Great to hear you like cocomamastyle and you’ll be back 🙂 thank you!
Gorgeous styling and layering, love the mix of stripes and leopard print xx
Frances Bacon recently posted…Supermarket Sweep
Thank you Frances 🙂 can’t go wrong with those two prints!
Hi, I love how you have styled this! Xx
Thank you Karla. Any excuse for a Breton in an outfit!! 😉
Oh I love this look! Thanks for the tips x #BrillBlogPosts
You Baby Me Mummy recently posted…The List #8
Thank you! Glad you liked 🙂
*Swoon* I am currently rushing to follow you on pinterest. I love this idea and would never have thought of teaming those two prints.
I love a stripe & leopard mix- always a winner! Thank you for dropping by, See you on pinterest!
Stunning outfit, so chic, love stripes and this is elegant wear for A/W. I run a style linky #fashionfriday too over on mummysgotstyle.com if you fancy joining. Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts
Honest Mum recently posted…A Visit to the National Media Museum
Great style tips! I’m 5″2 so really need to make sure I elongate my legs as much as possible. And like you, I’m a big fan of the LBD.
Beautiful, chic photos. This is my first time on your stylish blog but it will not be my last.
I found you through #BrilliantBlogPosts
I think you did out brilliantly. You look fab. I have styled a little black leather dress on today’s #streetstylesunday Great style, and the M&Co dress is amazing I love bit of M&Co. xxx
Style me Sunday recently posted…Street Style Sunday – LBD
Comments are closed.