On every list of essentials for our wardrobes or classics we must own, you will find the LBD, so much so that we all know that’s a Little Black Dress without prompting. I am sure we could all throw on an LBD for a night out or special occasion and team with metallics, more black, a bit of animal print or splash of colour with our eyes closed. But how do you dress down an LBD?
A total blank canvas can be intimidating because there are so many options; it’s almost like being asked what you’d like to drink without being given the options! So where to start?!
Well last week M&Co. invited me to style up one of their little black dresses to demonstrate its versatility so I took this opportunity to do something a little different to the usual evening look…
Style tips to update your LBD
- When thinking about colours to team with black, adding red is timeless but try blue or a bright sharp yellow for a contemporary look.
- Layer over and under. Try a breton (white with black stripe) underneath to dress it down or a white shirt which introduces detail with the addition of the collar.
- Think about the length of your LBD, your body shape and the length of your legs. A mini to knee-length dress, particularly a full-skirted skater style can work with ankle boots but a midi length would work better with pointed courts for their leg-lengthening properties.
- Remember, ankle boots will create a full stop at your ankle and therefore make your legs appear shorter so you need the higher hemline to show more leg and create the illusion of longer legs. A midi dress with its mid-calf hem will already shorten legs so choose shoes that elongate your pins; think pointed or nude.
- When it comes to prints, I’ve already mentioned, stripes will instantly dress down your LBD and I introduced leopard too, yep, another neutral in my book!
- Jersey tops underneath and chunky knits on top with brown or tan leather accessories will all add texture, creating a casual twist too.
Sunglasses, RayBan | Scarf, Little Fashion Gallery | Striped top (current), belt and ring (past seasons), Primark | Leopard heels (recent in-store), BCBGeneration @ TK Maxx.
Steal my style
Take a look #BehindTheScenes of this mini shoot here