It’s no secret I love a royal good news story and new baby news and talking about style. So whenever Femail have asked me to comment on Kate’s style over the years, I’m always happy to oblige. Whatever you think of the royal family or your opinions of commentary on how women look or dress, it’s a woman, a mum of three, hours after giving birth and whether she likes it or not, the world is watching, waiting and expecting to see her.
Pregnant women and new mums, hey, women in general surely realise that Kate is the exception to every rule because of her ‘role’ as future Queen and every new mum (every woman, full stop) should wear whatever they want, whenever they want. No one expects us to look this glamorous just hours after giving birth. But if I were Kate, and my photo was going to be shared globally of course I’d get my glam squad in to pamper me when I was ready and if I wasn’t ready? Then I’d make the world wait!
Here’s what I shared with Femail which has been shared over 120,000 times. Because I think Kate looked absolutely gorgeous. And when you think something positive about someone you should share it.
Expectant mums will often plan their ‘going home’ outfit with their newborn baby but the rest of us don’t have the world’s eyes waiting to see us step out of the hospital. Just mere hours after giving birth Kate appeared radiant in a bespoke bold red dress with white lace collar by her go-to British designer, Jenny Packham.
The Little Red Dress on the High Street
Pure cotton dress, £17.50, Marks & Spencer
How to style
- Try a metallic wedge sandal for comfort with a bit of height. The metallic finish will reflect light up onto your legs which is always flattering.
- A cross-body bag may be practical but why not try a basket bag to enhance the summer vibe.
- Sliders will dress down your red tunic for a picnic in the park or
- Keep jewellery simple and let the dress do the talking; perhaps a couple of bracelets or a light chain necklace or just pop on some tassel earrings and leave it at that.
- If your dress isn’t lined and you want a smoothing finish beneath without the weight (and heat) of shape wear, I always recommend Jockey’s Skimmies Slipshorts. Go for the shorter length in nude for the most useful option.