While a milder than usual winter may be on the cards, winter wardrobes still need a little attention and layering becomes even more important when it comes to children’s outfits; invest in neutral knits and cosy coats to build their wardrobe around for warmth, comfort and ease.
From newborn baby dresses to older boys’ chinos and mini baby coats to big girls’ knits, all your little ones can be covered – quite literally! – in luxe layers through the winter months and beyond at top children’s wear brand Mayoral.
1. Knitted dresses work just as well over tights as with leggings and you can inject some colour with brights in her leg-wear to liven up the look.
2. Long cardigans are ideal for keeping her cosy in the car; they’re less bulky than a coat (which are not recommended to be worn in car seats) but add a layer of warmth.
3. The simple denim dress will take her through the colder months with tights and boots and into spring with a light cardigan, little socks and Mary Janes. Don’t be afraid to size up now; she can wear the denim tunic layered over a long-sleeve bodysuit or top now (with cuffs rolled up if necessary) and alone when it’s warmer.
4. A classic smart dress needn’t be saved for best – if there’s one thing I learnt with my girls’ clothes, it’s that if you save outfits ‘for best’, by the time you find the occasion, they’ll have out-grown of them. Instead, treat every day as a special day and if a formal frock feels too smart for the occasion, dress it down with fun tights and a bright cardi.
5. A furry coat is ideal for tiny tots as an alternative to a snowsuit for smarter occasions or as a snuggly top layer for little walkers.
1. The knitted waistcoat adds an extra layer over long sleeve tops, shirts or sweaters without faffing with multiple sleeves bunching up – always a pain when you’re in a hurry! – and it’s cosier than a quilted gilet.
2. A neutral coat will complete his wardrobe and the knitted funnel collar will keep the chill from his neck without the need for a scarf – that’s one less thing to get lost at nursery or school!
3. A cardigan with lapel collars smartens up a printed t-shirt and jeans or keeps them snug in smart style with a shirt and trouser combo for a more formal do.
4. A pair of smart trousers will work well with the cardigan mentioned above, perhaps with a checked shirt for a flash of colour and print. Just add boots for a more formal occasion or plimsolls for a casual look.
5. The simple sweater is a mini wardrobe essential and a neutral grey will go with everything. Add a bright pair of slim trousers or skinny jeans and desert boots for everyday wear.
In collaboration with Mayoral