This time last year I was almost 5 months pregnant and embracing my growing bump in both figure-fit and flowing dresses daily. This year I’m back in my trusty shorts and jeans with the odd nursing dress thrown in for good measure but I haven’t forgotten what it was like to have to find and style a whole new wardrobe for a changing figure.
When George asked me to take a look at their maternity collection* I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to put together some purse-friendly outfits for mamas-to-be and of course include my top maternity summer style tips, because as I have always said ‘style doesn’t have to stop the minute that little plastic stick says ‘pregnant’!’
I’ve put together 5 outfits with my top picks from George’s current maternity collection, teamed with items from the women’s range (which work for pregnant mamas) and each look comes in at £50 or less. Yes, that’s £50 or under for the whole outfit, top to toe so you can get your fashion fix without dipping into the new baby fund!
Remember you can pin all images here to Pinterest (using the PinIt button at the bottom) to save for later and inspire your maternity style. Which look is your fave?
Dress & trainers
Denim & florals
Stripes & florals
Coral & white
Maternity style tips
- Mix maternity dresses, tops and bottoms which accommodate your growing bump with existing pieces in your wardrobe. A blazer, denim or leather jacket or denim shirt can be worn open over a dress or outfit to give room for your bump while retaining your existing style and saving some pennies!
- Try wearing a skinny belt under your bust to accentuate your slimmest area and show off your bump.
- Look for stretch fabrics that will give your bump room to grow and breathe, especially now in summer.
- A lot of maternity garments won’t last throughout your whole pregnancy as your bump shape and size changes but dresses which drape work really well and will nicely skim your tum post-birth too.
- Jersey basics are your friend. Simple tank dresses, vests and tube skirts can form the basis of a maternity wardrobe when layered with jackets or cardigans and teamed with bold accessories