Shopping on a budget is a must when it comes to a guilt-free fashion-fix, so when Matalan asked me to take part in their monthly Style Project and set the challenge of creating an entire outfit for £50 based on a key SS13 trend I thought no problem, Matalan always picks up the must-have looks of the season, but can I really find a top-to-toe look for just £50, including shoes? We’ll see!
It turned out I was spoiled for choice when it came to the monochrome trend. Mis-matched prints, black and white colour-blocking, and neon accents combined with peplums, faux leather and boucle meant it took a while to choose just one look to put forward in the Style Project (and I ended up with more than one outfit in my wardrobe as a keeper! Yes, I’m talking about you, neon yellow blazer).
So here it is, and of course, it is a competition, so if you would like to vote for a winner, just follow the instructions on the Style Project page.
And the total? £49. Bargain.
Shop the look…
- The cut of this top is really flattering with a dipped hem at the back and loose fit. Here I cinched it in at the waist for a smarter look but for casual wear it looks great worn loose over blue jeans.
- A simple collar necklace livens up any top, even your most basic jersey tee. The pearl effect here adds a ladylike twist.
- The jeggings are AMAZING. They have a higher waist than usual for a seamless finish under tops and are super-stretchy without being clingy.
- Mary-jane courts complete the look but when worn with jeans the ankle strap can make your legs appear shorter. These thin straps tucked round the heel nicely, keeping the sleek and chic style with added leg lengthening. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
- If you’re going for pure black and white, choose a bold nail polish and bright lips for a pop of colour. I went for a classic red.