I recently visited Danish company Bestseller for a sneak peek at their Autumn Winter collections. I never have got used to the whole Christmas in July thing you experience when attending press previews a season early but seeing as it’s been so wet it didn’t seem so bad!
Now you may recognise some of Bestseller’s brands; Vero Moda, Vila, Selected Femme and Mama.Licious maternity wear. Each brand has its own style but what they all have in common is their affordable clothing and accessories that are well cut in luxe-looking fabrics, simple colour palettes and interesting prints.
With an event to attend (BritMums Live! if you’re interested!) I selected some of the best pieces from their AW12 collections to borrow for the weekend, before they even hit the shops. The look I pulled together shows how you can do transitional dressing when the new season collections drop in store but we’re still in Summer mode. No, we don’t have to get back into those long boots just because they appear in stores soon. (Though we can of course buy them and save them for later!)
- Mix the Autumn colour palette on your outerwear and knitwear with your Spring pastels and lighter tones elsewhere.
- Keep it bright. Add a colourful print scarf to lift the look (would you expect anything less from Coco Mama?!).
- Playing with texture adds interest to block colour. The trousers here have a coating which gives a sheen, contrasted with the matt silk-look blouse and intricate lace of the jacket.
- Keep shoes light and summery. Metallic strappy flats or nude heels or wedges just scream Summer.
- If your look has to work from day to evening go for a scarf for day and statement necklace for evening. An instant update that will fit in your handbag.
Navy lace bomber and cream pleat front blouse, Vero Moda; printed scarf and mint coated jeggings, Pieces. Necklace and Heels, Coco Mama’s own.
A dressy bomber is a great alternative to a blazer and navy is a welcome change from black. The luxe lace finish bridges the gap between Summer’s light and bright lace and Autumn’s penchant for metalicised brocade. Add a fun edge to a smart dress or rock it with skinny jeans.
Best of the rest
Let’s not forget the little ones…
How did I not know about childrenswear brand Name it before now? Cute, must-have kidswear from 0-12 years. We LOVE the girls’ blazer, just perfect for a mummy/daughter look! Here’s a taster from the current collection for boys and girls.