Cocomama loves a challenge, and when it’s a style challenge we’re really talking. So when Joe Browns launched a School Run Style Challenge to inspire mums to create wearable, casual chic for running after the little ones I couldn’t resist. And as my mummy motto is Be practical but stylish this sounded right up my street.
Seeing as the ‘summer’ can range from chilly and wet to sunny and well, baking, here are two looks based around the same gorgeous pair of pink jeans, floral pumps and denim jacket, whatever the weather. Think you’d never get enough wear to justify buying a bright pair of jeans? Think again!
Clockwise from top: Denim jacket, Sunglasses, Multi strand necklace, Floral vest, Pink jeans, Floral plimsolls, Pink jeans (as before), Brown leather belt, Striped sweater, Floral scarf, All Joe Browns
- We all know jeans are so easy to wear but it’s easy to get stuck in a denim rut. Choosing a bright colour however will make you forget you’re wearing trusty denim and lift your look and your mood, without compromising on practical, comfy day wear.
- Stripes don’t have to be nautical, so mix them up with other prints and team with pink as an alternative to the classic red combo. Florals or animal prints with stripes are a must.
- The loose, chunky knit of this sweater looks more expensive than it’s £19.95 price tag and there’s a button detail on the back to add interest to a simple knit.
- When it comes to neckwear, it’s something that you can just throw on in a second but it will complete your look. So grab a scarf or statement necklace before leaving the house to look more together in an instant.
- A denim jacket is the perfect throw-it-on for day time casual but unless you love the double denim look (we’re still yet to be convinced) it’s best to save it for times when you’re not wearing blue jeans. Team with coloured chinos or bright jeans or toughen up a flippy floral dress with denim. Turn up the sleeves to style up your jacket and let a stripe sleeve poke out underneath.
- And £6.95 for some floral plimsolls? It’d be rude not to update your trainer wardrobe with these pretty canvas lace ups. They add a quirky feminine twist to a sensible shoe you can run around in.
- Finally, under £10 for a pair of RayBan-esque sunglasses? Go for something different in the eye wear stakes to finish your look (and hide those early morning bags on the school or nursery run!).
These pieces can be worn in so many ways and mixed and matched with other plain or printed items in your wardrobe. Try something new with your outfits, play with colour and print and you’ll lift your day time wardobe. You don’t have to strut across the playground in Louboutins to look stylish!